CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lotus Paste Buns

It has been so many months that I have not update my blog. I have kind of been 'out-of-energy', lazing around for awhile, then hook-on to computer game (playing God to Sims2) and nursing my sick daughter during her school holidays. Then finally, I manage to "grown my Sims" with all the cheat code found on the internet and then they grew-up and died and I have to play their children and grandchildren. So, at the end, I found myself bored of playing it except enjoying on building of the houses with underground swimming pool or underground garden and 2nd level swimming pool, etc, etc.........

Okie, beside that, I also have baked cakes and muffins and cupcakes and cookies but lazy to update due to slow internet connection. So, now, here I am again. Will try to update more often. Sorrie to my friends who kept checking if I have any new teddy bears or new cakes............many apologies.

My latest, and that is today, I tried my hands on Pau again after a near fatal disaster a few weeks ago. The inside of the Pau was not fully cooked except for the small Pau. A few days ago while searching for macarons, I came across this blog which got her recipe from her friends mum in Malaysia. Sorry, forgot to copy the link. If I find it again, will update the link here then.

This "Pau" or "Bao" or "Mantou" whichever way you wanna call  it. It is a rather easy recipe to follow.
Here is the picture of my finish Bunnies Lotus Bao:

I halved the portion mention and only makes 14 small + medium bunnies and additional 3 twisted mantou.
This is the full recipes which I think can make 24 medium to large bao.

Ingredients for White dough:

  • 500gm HongKong flour (to be sieved)
  • 250 gm lukewarm water (weigh the water)
  • 125 gm castor sugar
  • 2 teaspoon instant dry yeast
  • 1 tbsp shortening (use unsalted butter)
Ingredients for Filling:
  • Lotus Paste - store bought at PhoonHuat
Method:
  1. Measuring jug: fill 250 gm lukewarm water and stir in 125 gm of sugar until dissolved. Add in yeast and let stand until yeast becomes creamy and foamy.
  2. Large metal bowl: sift 500 gm HongKong flour and make a well. Pour in yeast mixture and using a spatula, try and mix them into a dough.
  3. Now using hand, add in 1 tbsp shortening/butter and knead the dough into a soft and smooth dough.
  4. Cover dough with a damp cloth or cling wrap and leave to rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour (until dough rises to double the size). To test - press with a finger in the middle of the dough. The depression should not rise-up.
  5. Lotus paste - weigh around 20 gm of Lotus paste and using both hand-palms, roll it into a ball. set aside.
  6. Back to dough - gently deflate the dough and turn it out into a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough into a long roll and cut into 24 slices. Let rise for another 10 minutes.
  7. Take 1 x dough and roll out into a circle. Press 1 x lotus paste in the middle and close the opening by pressing it up. Roll it around your palm to make it round and then shape the bunny body. Use a scissors to cut 2 slits for the ears. Place the bun on a piece of square grease-proof paper. Using red food dye, use a toothpick to prick 2 eyes on the bunny.
  8. When all the bunny is completed, leave the bunnies to rise for another 30 minutes before steaming them. Do not forget to leave a 1 inch gap in-between the buns as the buns will rise during steaming.
  9. Steam in a preheated steamer under high heat for 10-15 minutes. Do not open the lid during steaming process.
  10. Remove the bunnies from steamer and cool on a rack. Best to eat it warm.

0 comments: